Marriage in Kenya is one of the symbols of love that is highly appreciated as people come together to celebrate. A marriage certificate is then issued to the couple. This is done after the civil registration of the marriage has taken place. This marriage certificate is always issued by a government official.
The purpose of a marriage certificate in Kenya is to act as proof that the marriage took place.
Some other implications of a marriage certificate in Kenya are as follows:
- Proving that people are legally married.
- This is useful for VISAs and work permits.
- Used in courts during divorce and division of properties.
But then the question here is, do you know how to apply for a marriage certificate online without having to strain? Don’t worry, because you’ve come to the right place, where I’ll take care of everything for you.
Steps on How to Get Marriage Certificate in Kenya
Let me walk you through the process of obtaining a marriage certificate in Kenya for a civil religious wedding:
- The couple should be punctual during the wedding day.
- Must have attained an age of 21 years and above.
- Couple should not be of the same gender as the constitution doesn’t have the legal rights of couple of the same gender.
- There must be at least two witnesses.
- The marriage leader will provide you with the marriage certificate where the two of you are going to sign.
- You will now have a marriage certificate that is legal.
This is how to obtain a marriage certificate in Kenya for a civil religious wedding.
How to Get Marriage Certificate Online
You may want to know how to obtain a marriage certificate online:
- Log in to the oag.ecitizen.go.ke.
- Go to booking of your visits to the marriage registry which will be rescheduled based on the time available.
- Head to the marriage registry in the appointed date.
- Have at least two witnesses.
- Sample marriage certificate will be given to you where you will sign.
I hope you have realized how getting a marriage certificate in Kenya is very simple.
Now, let us look at some of the requirements in order to have a marriage certificate.
Requirements for Marriage Certificate in Kenya
Marriage registration in Kenya cannot take place without the following:
- Copies of original IDs or passports.
- Colored size passport photos.
- Death Certificate of widowed.
- Divorce decree of divorced.
- Affidavits to state marital status.
- Birth certificates.
Are you curious about how long it takes to get a marriage certificate in Kenya? It takes an average of 7 days for it to be ready.
Are you worried about how to get a copy of lost marriage certificate in Kenya? I’ve got you covered as you can retrieve your lost marriage certificate online by visiting the marriage website and making an application.
It is very important to have a marriage certificate in Kenya. Besides, it is not a must for you to do a religious marriage. You can as well go for other marriages such as civil marriages which calls for you to know the steps on how to get civil marriage certificate.