Various types of vehicles are now available in Kenya at the Mombasa port, and others are already maneuvering in the country. A vehicle is not allowed on a public road without a number plate. Number plates give identification to a vehicle, making it easy for owners as vehicles do look alike.
This brings us to the question, “ Do you know how to apply for a new number plate in Kenya?” If not then you are in the right place to know as this article will be an eye opener for you. I will also give you other important details that will make it riveting for you.
Guidelines on How to Apply For Number Plate in Kenya
These are the step-by-step procedures that will help you get a new number plate in Kenya today:
- Visit the registrar of motor vehicles in Kenya.
- Carry a copy of the National ID of the vehicle owner.
- Provide a KRA pin certificate to show that you pay taxes in the country.
- Show your import entry form (form 63).
- Show your duty and VAT receipts.
- Present your vehicle inspection report if the vehicle is used for commercial purposes.
- The port release order
- Foreign logbooks translated into English.
- You will need an import declaration form.
- Foreign vehicle license.
- Fill in the application form for a new number plate.
- The vehicle is registered when the registrar accepts your application.
- You have now been given new number plates for your car.
How to Apply for a Lost Number Plate
You may also be interested in knowing how to apply for a lost number plate in Kenya, below is the guideline on how to go about this:
- Report your case to the nearest police station.
- Head to the DCI’s office with the original logbook to obtain a tape lifting report.
- Have an affidavit from the commissioner of oaths.
- Scan all these documents to have a soft copy.
- Log in to the NTSA TIMS Account.
- Click the vehicle registration tab.
- Select “Apply for a reflective number plate”.
- Select the car whose number plate is lost.
- Click “Lost number plate.”
- Select your preferred plate.
- Fill in the details that are needed.
- Upload the documents and select the station where you want to pick up the plate.
- Payments are made using your preferred method of payment.
- A message will be sent to you via SMS when the number plate is ready.
I hope you have seen how easy it is to get a lost number plate back.
Here are some answers to some areas you might be curious about concerning number plates.
How much does it costs to get a number plate in Kenya?
It costs an average of Ksh. 1,000,000 to register for a new number plate in Kenya.
What is the cost of charging a foreign number plate in Kenya?
It costs about Ksh. 250,000 for both plates.
How long does it take to get a number plate in Kenya?
It takes about 10 days to get a number plate in Kenya.
In brief, getting a new number plate or replacing a number plate in Kenya is always simple. However, it might appear complicated if you do not have enough information. I hope this article has been of great help to you. With that being said, you can go ahead and apply for your number plate.