Animals in our homestead play a basic role in food production as they produce manure used in farming, meat, eggs, milk, and also protection. These animals may be prone to diseases due to outbreaks or injuries.
The presence of competent veterinary doctors in the country helps in saving the lives of these animals, thus bringing more benefits to society at large. Veterinary doctors earn a good amount of money, yet most Kenyans have not taken up this career.
In this article, I am going to show you how to become a veterinary doctor in Kenya.
Steps to Become a Veterinary Doctor in Kenya
Here are some of the steps to become a veterinary doctor in Kenya:
- Complete your higher secondary education with a minimum mean grade of C+ in the KCSE.
- Sit for the National Eligibility Entrance Test (NEET).
- Attain a Bachelor’s degree in Veterinary Science and Animal Husbandry.
- Pursue a master’s degree in Veterinary Science and Animal Husbandry. Besides, you can still apply for a veterinary job with a bachelor’s degree in veterinary medicine and surgery.
- Apply for a veterinary license that will be a symbol of authorization for treating animals in the country.
- Specialize in your veterinary career. You can decide to specialize in a specific field so that you can sharpen your skills in it.
These are the steps on how to become a veterinary doctor in Kenya.
You may not always achieve the average grade for pursuing a bachelor’s degree in a Veterinary Science course. A diploma in veterinary medicine in Kenya is also a viable option, as you can still progress until you obtain a degree.
Veterinary Course Requirements
Here are the requirements needed in order to study a veterinary course in Kenya:
- A minimum mean grade of C+ in the KCSE.
- A minimum grade of C+ in English, Mathematics, Biology and Chemistry.
- Two principals and one subsidiary pass at the KACE level.
- The cluster point for veterinary medicine in Kenya is 30.2890.
Veterinary courses in Kenya are offered by different universities. Besides, online veterinary courses in Kenya have made it easier for students as they are able to study in the comfort of their home.
Colleges Offering Diploma in Veterinary Medicine
Besides, we have colleges offering diploma courses in veterinary medicine in Kenya. These colleges are:
- Thika Institute of Technology.
- Annex Medical Training Centre.
- Menengai Medical and Training College.
- Kenya Medical Training College.
- Eldoret Technical Training College.
Enroll in these colleges to pursue a diploma in veterinary medicine.
In summary, veterinary medicine is the best course for you to pursue, especially if you are passionate about animals. Besides, it has many advantages, as you are able to learn more about animals and also earn a good monthly salary.