Did you know that a nurse can become a doctor in Kenya? Well, nurses undergo training that mainly deals with patients’ healthcare, whereas doctors specialize in the treatment of patients. Upgrading from a nurse to a medical doctor is very simple, depending on the information that you have at hand.
Furthermore, a nurse will not find it difficult to study a medical course as long as he or she is partially introduced to the medical field.
Are you curious to know how a nurse can become a doctor in Kenya? Well, you have come to the right site. So, I’ll give you some pointers that will help you land your dream job.
Guidelines on How a Nurse can Become a Doctor
Here are the step-by-step process oh how a a nurse can become a doctor in Kenya:
- Attain a Bachelor’s degree in Nursing. If you pursue another course, then you have to ensure that you first earn a Bachelor’s degree in nursing.
- Seat for the Medical College Admission Test as it majorly tests the students problem solving capability, critical thinking, written analysis and basic scientific concepts.
- Apply for a medical school. After taking the MCAT, your results will determine whether you will proceed to the Medical school or not. Nurses are highly preferred as they are already exposed to the healthcare world.
- Attend your residency programs and fellowship. This will help you gain the required skills as you will be going to the health facilities near you. If you want to specialize in a specific field then fellowship is required.
- Joining the Kenya Medical Association as this will help you gain the network communication thus getting a job will be very easy.
These are some of the steps that will help you become a medical doctor in Kenya.
There are medical schools that accept nurses to pursue medicine courses. Furthermore, they offer nurse-to-doctoral bridge programs competently. These schools are:
- Kenya Medical Training College.
- Kenya Methodist University.
- Maseno University.
- Moi University.
- Kenyatta University.
Are you curious about how long it takes to become a doctor if you are a nurse? It takes an average of five years to become a doctor. Being a nurse does not reduce the number of years it takes to become a doctor.
Can a clinical officer become a doctor in Kenya? Yes, a clinical officer can also become a doctor in Kenya if he or she attains a bachelor’s degree in a medical course.
In brief, nurses can upgrade to being doctors after pursuing a bachelor’s degree in medicine. Besides, being a doctor helps you earn more than nurses.